High rate of quality failures for Subsea Electronics Modules Top Covers coming from the manufacturer
• Unnecessary training (hundreds of people going through up to 9 days each);
• Multiple journeys during recruitment process.
•To drastically improve the quality of Top Covers coming from the manufacturer
- Kaizen event that included the manufacturer.
- Mapping of the recruitment process & issues identified;
- Root causes of 200 issues and solutions developed
- Root causes of all the Quality issues identified
- Solutions to Quality root causes developed, tested and embedded
- Solutions to Process issues developed and embedded
- Communications plan for rollout to all stakeholders
- All quality issues at point of acceptance for Aker Solutions eliminated
- (a 99% improvement reported between Dec 2016 and June 2017 and 100% improvement reported between March and June 2017)
- Rework removed, lead time reduced, and need for test fit at point of receipt eliminated
- (2 people, 1 hr for 10 top covers per month)
Submitted by Darren Clyde, Senior Lean Coach, Aker Solutions