A lawyer with extensive experience of working with the fishing and oil and gas industries today (November 1) takes over the helm of the U.K. Fisheries Offshore Oil and Gas Legacy Trust Fund Limited or FLTC.
Charles Scott, a consultant with Shepherd and Wedderburn, will become part time Executive Chairman, taking over as Executive Chairman from Niall Scott who is retiring from the post after 10 years and will finish his tenure on the Board at the end of this year.
FLTC is a charity established in 2007 by the Scottish Fishermen’s Federation, the National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations and Oil & Gas UK to improve fishermen’s safety on the UK continental shelf. It is believed to be the first company in the world set up to provide fishermen with information about oil and gas structures in perpetuity.
Commenting on his appointment, Charles Scott, said:
“I look forward to working with FLTC to provide fishermen with comprehensive, up-to-date information on all seabed hazards related to oil and gas activities. For the last 10 years the oil and gas and fishing industries have been working closely together to support the FLTC Group and build an Endowment Fund which will be used to finance Group activities in perpetuity and I am delighted to have the opportunity to help build on what has already been achieved. I would like to thank Niall for his outstanding service and commitment to FLTC”
A number of projects are supported by the FLTC Group including provision of FishSAFE Information, which provides fishing vessels with detailed information about the location of oil and gas related surface and subsea structures in UK waters. Fishing gear can become caught on these structures and providing complete and accurate information about their location is an important factor in improving the safety of fishermen.
For further information, please contact:
Lucy Gordon, Oil & Gas UK at [email protected] or telephone – 01224 577331
Notes to editors
- U.K. Fisheries Offshore Oil and Gas Legacy Trust Fund Limited (“FLTC”) was formed in 2007 by Oil & Gas UK, the Scottish Fishermen’s Federation and the National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations, to enhance the safety of fishermen by ensuring the provision in perpetuity of information relating to oil and gas seabed structures and equipment in UK waters.
- The Scottish Fishermen’s Federation is the lead representative body for fishermen in Scotland and plays an active role in advancing the interests of Scottish fishermen at national and international levels by lobbying government officials in Edinburgh, London and Brussels.
- The National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations is the primary representative body for fishermen in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Its membership fishes extensively throughout the UKCS and beyond.
- Oil & Gas UK is the leading representative organisation for the UK offshore oil and gas industry. Its membership comprises oil and gas producers and contractor companies.
- The data set covered by FishSAFE Information currently includes:
- Over 16,000 miles of pipeline
- 725 subsea structures
- 400 surface structures
- 100 square miles of safety zones
- Charles Scott is a consultant solicitor with Shepherd and Wedderburn and will continue in that capacity after assuming the role of chairman. He was a partner in the Aberdeen law firm Mackinnons from 1979 to 2016 and was Managing Partner from 1988 to 2011 and from 2015 to 2016.