It is widely acknowledged that a significant proportion of oil and gas production is lost each year through plant downtime and system-related issues.
- Explore new technologies that make use of existing operational data sources to provide analytical insights which enable decisions and interventions to maximise production uptime, enhance business performance and mitigate risk.
- Nexen engaged Operational Excellence (OPEX) Group to apply a predictive analysis service on the Buzzard platform to detect warning signs and identify emergent system failures, prior to the event occurring.
- The scope of work covered the full process gas compression system on board Buzzard, including process separators, coolers, exchangers, gas compressors, drivers, valves and system instrumentation.
The service has delivered significant value, including:
- A reduction in critical system failures or downtime
- Reduced maintenance costs and the high cost of unplanned equipment repairs
- Identification of performance improvement opportunities
- Highlighted rapidly escalating problems and longer term threats at a very early stage
Following the initial pilot in 2015, the service has been implemented on a longer-term basis on additional systems on Buzzard and other Nexen assets.
Total savings anticipated
$20 million production revenue safeguarded in 2016.