Nexen sought to reduce offshore non-productive time (NPT) to drive greater efficiency of the platform supply vessel (PSV) fleet.
- To reduce logistics NPT to below 30 per cent in 2015.
- To manage logistic costs more effectively.
- Offshore teams were challenged to place greater emphasis on planning and scheduling to ensure the PSVs were working more efficiently.
- Vessel NPT metrics were also examined which demonstrated that further cost management improvements could be implemented, including vessel sharing and ultimately reducing the PSV fleet.
- The focus on reducing offshore NPT has enabled Nexen to challenge the manner in which it operates its PSV fleet and change entrenched ways of working.
- This has resulted in the reduction of the PSV fleet by one term vessel and a reduction in dependency on
ad hoc spot-hires.
- It has resulted in annualised savings of £3.5-£4 million.
- Further improvements to vessel sailing schedules have the potential to reduce the PSV fleet further, saving an additional £1.25-£1.5 million per annum.
- Vessel savings were a major contributor in improving Nexen’s lifting costs in 2016.
Reduced NFT: 30%
Annualised savings: £3.5-4 million